Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Cancer Comfort Pillows: What do they stand for?



Cancer Comfort Pillows: What do they stand for?

          Every day someone else is stricken with Cancer and the aftermath of the diagnosis is devastating. You have to think of where your life goes next; Do you fight it? Do you give up? How sick will you get? How will it affect my family? How much will treatment cost? So many questions to face and that's not counting coming to terms with the idea that you even have the disease.


        When my mother was diagnosed and lost her life to Stage IV Cancer in 2014, we asked ourselves these very questions. During the visits back and forth to the Radiation Doctors (it was the only treatment really worth doing as it would relieve the pain she was enduring), she asked me and begged me to tell her why this was happening to her. 
         It was heartbreaking. In May 2014, just a month and seventeen days after the Doctor diagnosed her, we said Goodbye. It was while watching her go around the room, telling everyone she loved them by name, that I realized I wanted to do SOMETHING to help others who have to face this dreaded illness.
          First, I signed up for Relay for Life. I was familiar with races and fundraising, as in 2012 I joined Team in Training in San Diego and raised over $1600.00 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma organization. And then participated in the ½ marathon at the end to celebrate not only life but fighting Cancer. But, it was a struggle. 
         Back then, my heart really wasn't in it. I will be honest, I'm one of the ones who think there may be a slim possible chance that there already IS a cure for Cancer (at least a better one than treatment now) but, I have no proof. However, this isn't to say that raising money to find a cure is a bad thing. I pray it really does help.
         My mission isn't money driven though, it's wanting to help others find comfort while waiting for the cure. There are people who kick-ass at fundraising, but I don't. I hate asking people for money, ever in any circumstance. But, I'd like to think that I can help others feel better by offering kind words, a helping hand, an ear to listen and....Comfort Pillows.
        Shortly after my mom died, my aunt (her sister) underwent treatment for Breast Cancer. Seriously? Right? Hadn't our family been through enough? Anyway, like a champ, my aunt bravely fought it but her daughter told me of how uncomfortable the chairs were they had to sit in. How cold it got in the treatment rooms. Just how uncomfortable it was. Bing! Idea.
        I love sewing and don't get to do it enough, so I felt it was perfect to put two things I enjoy (sewing and helping a cause), together and that's how I came to Comfort Pillows. I don't seek money for them at all. I'm not raising money, I'm giving comfort.
       Each pillow is handmade using fabrics that I purchase from Fabrics.com. The stuffing inside is washable so each pillow can be washed a few times in case of sickness, simply use your washer and dryer. :). Best part? I include MATCHING pillow cases for each one.
       I've just started really doing this, and the batch of pillows pictured in this blog post are going to be personally delivered to the nearby Naval Hospital Pediatric Oncology Unit later this month. I'm only hoping it's a hit.

     Thank you for reading this post, please share only if you feel it in your heart to do so. I'd love to find other hospitals looking for a small set to add to their unit, not just those here in my current home state of Virginia. So RT away if you're on Twitter or any of the social media options below.
Thanks again and remember, no matter how you choose to fight Cancer, fight how it suits you best.



~Sarah~

No comments:

Post a Comment